…a TA, otherwise known as a teacher’s assistant, an educator’s assistant, or that person who is paid to get treated like shit.
Well as a student, you may feel like you are able to get away with just about everything, but you’d be surprised just the amount that your TA knows, as told by a TA herself. Ranked most obvious to least obvious.
- We can tell you changed the margin spacing on your paper.
- …or oversized your periods.
- …or your incorrect use of APA or MLA (or *insert student name* style citations)
- We OBVIOUSLY can see your 2.5 spacing instead of 2. WE HAVE EYES.
- Your “interpretation” that is clearly a quotation and should be cited. (ahhh, low-key plagiarism, always nice)
- What you are looking at in seminar. (If you are laughing at your crotch, 10 chances to 1 you are one your phone)
- When you spell your TA’s name wrong, forget their name or what they look like all together.
- When they ask you to be quiet in lecture and you keep talking.
- …or that you take to your phone/laptop to complain about us. (don’t get me wrong, a better alternative, but it makes you a shitty person)
- If you never do the readings. The only people you are dumb enough to fool are your fellow classmates.
- When you ask for questions from the exam…???
- That your TAs don’t know each other, and that when you complain about one TA it won’t get back to the other.
- That we don’t have code names for you all. (i.e. Clicker girl)
- That we drink copious amounts of alcohol to deal with your shit.
They say being a TA is a rewarding experience, and it is. Aside from all the emails from students who never talked in seminar but feel they deserve a better grade, or the late submissions with no excuses and the back talk from the ones who don’t think you do enough… ya… it’s great.